Platte County's Tow Application Process
Requirements, Statutes, & Penalties...
Requirements & Statutes
To participate in the bidding process to provide services to the Platte County Sheriff’s Department, one must have a Platte County Tow License.
In accordance with Chapter 605 Section 605.010 and RS MO. 301.344, any wrecker or tow service business registered with the US Dept. of Transportation either physically located within Platte County or when the business conducts more than fifty percent (50%) of its wrecker or tow service business within Platte County is required to obtain a license from Platte County and display the license.
Any person, wrecker or tow service business failing to obtain a license or pay the license fee is subject to a fine of not less than five dollars ($5.00) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500.00) or by imprisonment for a term not exceeding one (1) year or by both fine and imprisonment.
What You'll Need To Obtain A Tow License...
In order to obtain a Tow Permit of the County of Platte, the following is required:
For each vehicle:
- Completed Tow License Application: including pages 1 and 2.
- Copy of either the most current:
• Missouri Safety Inspection Certificate(s)
• Missouri Department of Transportation Inspection(s)
- Certificate of Insurance containing the following liability limits:
• Bodily Injury Liability $ 100,000 each person and 300,000 each accident
• Property Damage Liability 100,000 each accident
- U.S. Dept. of Transportation Registration Number
- Personal Property Tax Receipt: (Must be current for the year proceeding the license year. Example: For a 2018 license, send a copy of the 2017 paid tax receipt.)
- If a Corporation: A current copy of “Certificate of Good Standing” from the Secretary of State
- Appropriate fees paid: (make checks payable to Platte County Treasurer)
• $75.00 per business
• $25.00 per vehicle
Where to send your application and pay fees...
1. Mail, email or place in-person the completed two-page application to:
Platte County Clerk
415 Third St
Platte City, Missouri 64079
Open between 8:00-5:00 Monday thru Friday
(If paying by mail, make payments to: Platte County Treasurer)
2. Click on the link below to pay online with eCheck, Master Card, American Express, Discover, Visa or Debit Card or if paying by mail, make payments to: Platte County Treasurer.
When can I expect my license?
After receiving the completed two-page application and payment of fees, licenses are submitted for approval at the next Platte County Commission Session. Sessions occur twice a month – the 1st and 3rd Mondays. You may expect your licenses delivered via email within 23 business days. Not soon enough? Give us a call at 816 858-3340 – we’ll be happy to help.