Upcoming Meeting and Events
Location: Platte County Resource Center, 11724 NW Plaza Circle, KCMO
- KCI Area Development will NOT meet in August. The next meeting will be at 7:30am on Thursday, September 6th.
- KCI TIF Advisory Committee and Platte Purchase TIF Advisory Committee will NOT meet in August. The next meeting will be 8am on Wednesday, September 19th.
- Public Policy Committee will NOT meet in August. The next meeting will be at 7:30 am on Thursday, September 20th.
- SAVE THE DATE - Our third quarter member luncheon will be "All Things Transportation" on Friday, September 7 from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm at the KCI Expo Center located at 11730 N Ambassador Dr, Kansas City, MO 64153. The panel will include Representative Kevin Corlew; Pat Klein, Aviation Director at the City of Kansas City; and Jeff Martin, City Engineer Capital Projects, Public Works, City of Kansas City, Mo. Watch for the invite coming soon.
KCMO breaks ground for new bridge over I-29
A groundbreaking was held on Friday, July 27th for the improvements and new bridge near Tiffany Springs MarketCentre. The project includes:
- Four lanes with a median, curb and gutter, sidewalk and trail
- Streetlights and enclosed storm sewer
- Minor lane improvements over I-29 in conjunction with MODOT
- NEW BRIDGE along I-29
To view the Fox 4 News piece, which includes an interview with PCEDC Executive Director Alicia Stephens, click here.
Photo to right: Wes Minder, PCEDC Board Member; Alicia Stephens, PCEDC Executive Director, Stephanie Neppl, PCEDC Marketing/PR Manager; Pete Fullerton, previous PCEDC Executive Director.
Harley-Davidson will have its first round of layoffs August 3rd, which will affect 180 employees. The Full Employment Council and Platte County EDC will jointly host a hiring event for the displaced workers on August 10th.
PCEDC has communicated with Harley's Real Estate Division and is building a file for the property. Harley distributed an RFP to identify a commercial real estate broker. PCEDC will work with the broker to backfill the space. The timeline is product off the line through May of next year and then close-out the facility in June and July.
Upcoming hiring events
Check out our jobs page for several upcoming hiring events! All Platte County companies are welcome to send us information and flyers for any upcoming hiring events, which we will share on our website jobs page as well as on social media. If you have an event to list, please contact Stephanie Deppen.
SaferMO.com Launches Proposition D Campaign Website
The SaferMO.com committee launched a website - www.SaferMO.com - to help Missourians learn about Proposition D, the statutory ballot measure for funding safe roads and bridges. Proposition D appears on Missouri's November 6, 2018, general election ballot. It was referred to state voters by the Legislature. Prop D phases in a 2.5 cents annual motor fuels tax increase over four years. The Platte County EDC Board of DIrectors supports Proposition D.
Click here to read our latest sector update, which includes market statistics, development updates and more including:
- Biolife Plasma Services will open a new center later this year in the Tiffany Springs East development along Ambassador Drive and 152 Highway. The company is holding hiring events July 30-31 and will employ around 70 people.
- Ignite Medical Resorts will open this fall at 2100 NW Barry Road, KCMO. The 90-bed skilled Nursing Facility will serve short-term rehab patients, long-term skilled nursing patients & expand network of home health/hospice services.
Platte County Businesses in the News
City Rent a Truck officially opens in KCI Corridor
City Rent a Truck held its ribbon cutting earlier this month. An official welcome to the neighborhood! Your new HQ looks fantastic!
City of Kansas City Trails Study
The City of Kansas City started the process to update the 2009 Trail Facilities Nexus Study, which outlined the need to build public trails near new development projects in KCMO. In the updated study, the City seeks to provide alternatives to an impact fee system and to demonstrate the amount of funding the City would have had for trail construction, if a trails impact fee had been passed in 2009. For more info, click here, and to see the survey findings showing the overall results. click here.
Transportation Infrastructure update
aka PCEDC loves orange barrels!
- Reminder that the southbound lanes of the Buck O'Neil Bridge are now closed for a 7-month period. Work is being done underneath the bridge. Follow the project here.
- Construction on the new I-29 bridge near Tiffany Springs MarketCentre has broken ground. Follow the project here. Click here for the design plan.
- Skyview from Ambassador Drive to Tiffany Springs Road is slated to begin this summer.
- Work on 64th Street & Prairie View Road has begun. The realignment of Prairie View to Chatham will ease congestion at the intersection right off the interstate. The intention is for work to be completed by mid-summer 2019. Project details are being finalized for the southern section of the NW Prairie View Road work.
- The 72nd Street project is finalizing rights of way with MODOT and once it is approved next month, the project will move for bidding. Construction will start late fall/early spring with a 18-24 month completion time frame.
- Platte City has been awarded matching funds from MODOT for the Highway 92 & I-29 intersection.
234 Boardwalk-Antioch expands route to Tiffany Springs
RideKC's 234 Boardwalk-Antioch has expanded to serve jobs in East Tiffany Springs and West Tiffany Springs, which went into effect July 2, 2018. New service has been added north of Boardwalk Square Park & Ride. The route expanded to add hourly service throughout the middle of the day on weekdays.
Rosemary Salerno, PCEDC Board member and owner of RT Rustics, has been hired as the new General Manager of the City Market. Read more here.
Click here to view the latest KCI New Terminal project news from Edgemoor Infrastructure and Real Estate, including design progress, pre-construction activities, development agreement and financial updates, and community outreach.
Platte Valley Bank offers a monthly "Eat & Educate Events for Small Business" series in partnership with MidContinent Public Library. Register online here.
The Kansas City Aviation Department reported that 1,126,145 passengers arrived and departed through KCI's gates in June, a 4.7% increase from June 2017. Passenger boardings were up 4.9%, with a total of 561,454 boarded. For the year to date, total passengers in and out total 5,733,268, up 2.5%. Year-to-date passenger boardings are 2,878,735, up 2.6%. Read more.
PLATINUM PLUS INVESTORS
National Golf Club
Park Hill School District
Platte County R-3 School District
Trammell Crow Co.
Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa
City of Weston
EDC of Kansas City
KCI Auto Auction
Platte County Economic Development Council | 816-270-2109 | www.plattecountyedc.com
LET'S WRITE A SUCCESS STORY