Platte County EDC Celebrates 30 years
The Platte County Economic Development Council celebrated its 30th anniversary with a special luncheon on Friday, June 1st at the KCI Marriott.
Thank you to the event sponsors: Hunt Midwest and the KCI Marriott, as well as the event committee of Jim Bowers, Ed Ford and Rosemary Salerno.
Upcoming Meeting and Events
Location: Platte County Resource Center, 11724 NW Plaza Circle, KCMO
- KCI Area Development will NOT meet in July or August. The next meeting will be at 7:30am on Thursday, September 6th.
- KCI TIF Advisory Committee and Platte Purchase TIF Advisory Committee will jointly meet at 8am on Wednesday, July 18th.
- Public Policy Committee will NOT meeting in July. The next meeting will be at 7:30 am on Thursday, August 16th.
PCEDC Board visits new CVS Health distribution center
On June 22, the Platte County EDC board and elected officials got a chance to see the new CVS Health Midwest Distribution Center.
The new center will send its first products on October 1, and will eventually employ close to 400 people.
234 Boardwalk-Antioch expands route: new service to East and West Tiffany Springs
RideKC's 234 Boardwalk-Antioch will be expanded to serve jobs in East Tiffany Springs and West Tiffany Springs, beginning Monday, July 2, 2018. New service will be added north of Boardwalk Square Park & Ride. The route will expand to add hourly service throughout the middle of the day on weekdays.
Summer intern recaps time at PCEDC
The summer of 2018 has been one of learning and new experiences. The intern position was filled by Taryn Firkins, a strategic communications student at Oklahoma State University and Platte County R-III graduate.
The past eight weeks have flown by. I started my summer off interning at the Platte County EDC. The first few days, I met board members, other members of the EDC, business owners, developers and city representatives at meetings and luncheons. I was able to do a write-up for the Annual Joint Luncheon and help prepare for the celebration of the PCEDC's 30 Years of Success. This position has opened up so many opportunities for my future and my career path.
The entire summer was busy with new and existing projects. I attended many early morning meetings and took detailed notes, so I could create minutes. The minutes were written for board meetings, executive committee meetings and KCI Are Development meetings.
I was able to pick up the ins and outs of the technologies used and lighten the load for the staff. I frequently used the information system Location One. I used Location One to keep the PCEDC website up-to-date after reviewing real estate websites specific to Platte County. I added available sites and buildings to the website to keep it as accurate as possible. I also became familiar with One Note and even more familiar with the analytics of Twitter.
This internship gave me insight on the way things work for not only the Platte County EDC, but in Kansas City and the surrounding areas- including the businesses and schools. I learned how everything works and fits together among the staff members.
Stephanie Neppl again attended Lakeside with the Locators site consultant event this month. The annual event provides opportunities for economic developers to discuss a range of timely topics with site locators from major markets all over the US. Workforce was not surprisingly a large part of the discussion. Ten site consultants from major markets in the US took part. Thanks to our co-sponsors City of Riverside and Kansas City Aviation Department for partnering with us again!
Transportation Infrastructure update
aka PCEDC loves orange barrels!
- Reminder that the southbound lanes of the Buck O'Neil Bridge are now closed for a 7-month period. Work is being done underneath the bridge. Follow the project here.
- Construction on the new I-29 bridge near Tiffany Springs MarketCentre is set to break ground this summer. Follow the project here. Click here for the design plan.
- Skyview from Ambassador Drive to Tiffany Springs Road is slated to begin this summer.
- Work on 64th Street & Prairie View Road has begun. The realignment of Prairie View to Chatham will ease congestion at the intersection right off the interstate.
- Platte City has been awarded matching funds from MODOT for the Highway 92 & I-29 intersection.
Park University sees enrollment growth for fifth straight term. Read here.
Platte Valley Bank offers a monthly "Eat & Educate Events for Small Business" series in partnership with MidContinent Public Library. Register online here.
PLATINUM PLUS INVESTORS
National Golf Club
Park Hill School District
Platte County R-3 School District
Trammell Crow Co.
Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa
City of Weston
EDC of Kansas City
KCI Auto Auction
Platte County Economic Development Council | 816-270-2109 | www.plattecountyedc.com
LET'S WRITE A SUCCESS STORY