Upcoming Meeting and Events
Location: Platte County Resource Center, 11724 NW Plaza Circle, KCMO
- KCI Area Development will meet at 7:30am on Thursday, June 7th. Jennifer Goering from the Platte County CVB will present info on the hotel and visitor industry. To view the KC Water Services presentation from the May meeting, please click here.
- KCI TIF Advisory Committee and Platte Purchase TIF Advisory Committee will jointly meet at 8am on Wednesday, June 20th.
- Public Policy Committee will meet at 7.30am on Thursday, June 21st. The Committee will discuss the upcoming transportation ballot issue.
- The PCEDC Board of Directors meets at 7:30am on Friday, June 22nd.
Platte County EDC recognized at Cornerstone Awards
Thank you to the EDC of Kansas City for recognizing the Platte County EDC as part of the Northland Better KCI team at their annual Cornerstone Awards.
To read more on the event, click here.
PCEDC welcomes summer intern
We'd like to officially welcome our summer intern, Taryn Firkins, who started May 17th.
Taryn graduated from Platte County R3 High School and will be an OSU sophomore this fall studying strategic communications. Taryn will be doing some research on real estate, major employers and workforce data. We're excited to have her with us!
Read more here.
Community Development Day Recap
Thanks to our great partners and communities who helped make our 4th annual Community Development Day such a great success. The Platte County EDC hosted 85 commercial brokers, real estate developers, community representatives and sponsors at its fourth annual Community Development Day on Monday, May 14th. Read our recap and see photos here.
Our 2019 Community Development Day will be held on Monday, May 13. Save the date!
Joint Luncheon Recap
by Taryn Firkins, PCEDC intern
The Northland Regional Chamber of Commerce held the annual Joint Luncheon in partnership with the Platte County EDC and the Clay County EDC on May 22, 2018 at the KCI Hilton.
The luncheon was sponsored by Hunt Midwest Real Estate. The luncheon had over 300 attendees including PCEDC partners, legislators and local businesses.
The NRC Chair, Rosemary Salerno recognized and thanked many legislators and executives as well as Ora Reynolds, Hunt Midwest CEO and President. Reynolds talked about Hunt Midwest's successes and future plans for Subtropolis (a business park) and single and multi-family, as well as senior housing.
The speaker for the luncheon was Keith Prather with Armada Corporate Intelligence. Prather gave the audience his predictions for the economy, things to ponder, and items that are not common knowledge that can predict and impact the economy.
Prather explained how the economy is doing well, and should continue to do well for the next 18 months because of exceptional economic development. The GDP growth is at 3.3 percent, the strongest it has been since 2004 or 2005.
Prather gave insight on how private investment helped to prevent a recession in 2016 and how it can continue to do so. Other things to watch that can impact the economy include pace of change, accelerated competition, labor shortages, speed of disruption, the strength of the dollar.
The biggest indicator about the health of the economy is the level of optimism.
Platte County Economic Development Council will host its next luncheon to celebrate 30 years of success on June 1 at the KCI Marriott.
Stephanie Neppl, Marketing and PR Manager, attended ICSC RECon from May 20-23 in Las Vegas. During the annual retail convention, Stephanie met with a range of retailers to discuss Platte County opportunities.
Platte County EDC welcomes new members
Please join us in extending a very warm welcome to our new members! Be sure to visit their websites to learn more about the companies and the services they offer!
- George K Baum provides financial services in the primary and secondary markets for both taxable and tax-exempt fixed-income securities.
- Kaw Valley Engineering provides Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering and Construction Observation and Testing services.
- Rosemary Salerno with RT Rustics sells repurposed and upcycled goodies for the home. Handmade and custom benches are their specialty!
- Superior Bowen produces and sells their own asphalt mix, and has many years of experience in cold milling, paving, roadwork, and highway construction.
- Hillcrest Platte County is a Christian, non-profit organization that offers homeless families a disciplined educational program within a caring, supportive environment.
- Clarkson Construction Company is a diversified heavy contractor, performing over 80% of the work on projects with its own labor and equipment forces.
- TeamLogic IT provides managed IT services, support and technology consulting for businesses of all sizes.
Platte County Businesses in the News
Transportation Infrastructure update
aka PCEDC loves orange barrels!
- Reminder that the southbound lanes of the Buck O'Neil Bridge are now closed for a 7-month period. Follow the project here.
- Construction on the new I-29 bridge near Tiffany Springs MarketCentre will start in July. An open house will be held on June 19th from 4:30-6pm at the KCPD North Patrol building, and a groundbreaking event will be held this summer.
- Skyview from Ambassador Drive to Tiffany Springs Road is slated to begin this summer.
- Work on 64th Street & Prairie View Road has begun. The realignment of Prairie View to Chatham will ease congestion at the intersection right off the interstate.
- Platte City has been awarded matching funds from MODOT for the Highway 92 & I-29 intersection.
JE Dunn has a part in the KCI single terminal project. Read here.
Platte Valley Bank offers a monthly "Eat & Educate Events for Small Business" series in partnership with MidContinent Public Library. Register online here.
Kansas City International Airport passenger traffic increased 2.1% in April. Read here.
Effective July 1, Dr. Utpal K. Goswami will become President of the MCC-Longview campus as part of districtwide realignment initiative. Dr. Tyuan Lee, who is currently the President of the MCC-Penn Valley campus will also become the President of the MCC-Maple Woods campus.
PLATINUM PLUS INVESTORS
National Golf Club
Park Hill School District
Platte County R-3 School District
Trammell Crow Co.
Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa
EDC of Kansas City
KCI Auto Auction