Platte County Assessor's Office

Real Property Appeal Process

If you disagree with your property’s valuation during any tax year, you may appeal by following these steps:

1. Informal Hearings: call or meet with an Appraiser prior to May 1. Please be prepared with documentation as evidence of the value you believe to be accurate, including information such as pictures, a recent sale of your property, or an appraisal of your property.

2. Board of Equalization: if you disagree with the Appraiser, you can appeal to the Platte County Board of Equalization (BOE). Appeal forms are available at the Assessor’s Office and must be completed and returned to the Assessor's Office BEFORE the third Monday in June. The BOE will hear your evidence of property value during a scheduled hearing in July.

3. State Tax Commission: you MUST appeal to the local BOE before going on to the State Tax Commission (STC). If you disagree with the BOE’s decision, you have the right to appeal to the STC in writing no later than September 30 or 30 days after the BOE’s decision, whichever date is later.